Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm dreaming of a white Katie....

Which actually happened today. I woke up to about 5-6 inches of snow on the ground and it was still coming down strong. I almost left home with just a flimsy jacket (meaning a jacket that would keep me warm and still look cute, but that does nothing to keep snow out of my shirt.). I had to run back down the stairs a couple of times cuz it's been a while since I've had to walk in this much snow and I kept forgetting things. But finally I was all bundled up and ready to walk the 4ish blocks to class (of course I had to start my day on the opposite side of campus than my house...just my luck). Remember that the snow is still coming down at a pretty decent pace. By the time I got to class I was COVERED in snow. I almost wish I had a picture to show you, almost :) My hair took a while to dry out (I forgot to grab a hat...I've learned my lesson for next time. My forehead was cold!) It was funny to look around the class, you could so tell who had walked cuz they were covered in snow or had very wet clothes on, kinda like me :) Then for the next 4 hours I was in class (don't worry, I have an hour break, I'm not crazy enough to sit through 4 classes in a row, I would go crazy!) so I didn't see much of the snow. Then came time to walk back home. Let's just say it was interesting... I had snow blowing in my face and I had to try to watch out for the big piles of snow that were very good at deceiving me into thinking that there was a sidewalk under them. And to top it off I came home to this:
There's about 13 inches of snow on the driveway, my car, the sidewalk, it was crazy. Mostly because it's STILL snowing! The only thing that kept me from crying was that I knew Mom would want me to take pictures and enjoy it for her, so I decided I would put aside my dislike of the snow and have fun watching it come down. Just for you Mommy :) Then I decided that I would do Cindy a favor and clear the sidewalk and driveway. It was suppose to be easy, especially with a snow-blower, right? True, but that's only when the snow-blower actually likes you. I couldn't get it to start and I just gave up on it. So instead I shoveled the snow, which I never would have done last year. I would have waited till Cindy came home and made the snow-blower like me. But over the summer Cindy was brilliant and had a carport installed, so now I don't have to shovel as much.
The wonderful carport covers a little over half of the driveway. So, I was way more willing to shovel the snow by hand. It took about an hour to get it all done (I must admit that I took a lot of breaks. I  had to, there was 13 inches!) but I got it all done. As a sad commentary on my life, I actually enjoyed doing it because it meant that I wasn't sitting in front of the tv like I do everyday. Now I'm sitting all nice and cozy in front of the fireplace. I might get up and get some food in my system, but it's so warm right here....

3 comments:

Mom said...

Katie is my HERO!!! Can I just tell you how nice it was to come home and find the driveway already cleared? Thanks again, Katie!

Becca said...

Will you come shovel my driveway and sidewalks so they are nice and clear when I get home?!? :)

Laurie said...

Holy crap-a-moly, that's a lot of snow! Go, you! (I'd have opted for the watch-tv-and-wait-for-Cindy-to-get-home-and-make-the-snow-blower-like-me plan. Of course, you just stepped up and shoveled the stuff.) No wonder you're Cindy's favorite niece! :)