Sunday, July 14, 2013

My new calling

Monday, July 8, 2013

I've been in my ward for 3 weeks and yesterday I was asked to be the Relief Society President. I'm still kind of in shock over the whole thing. (Even though I knew it was coming. I've almost always known when a big calling is coming and what it is. The Spirit prepares me beforehand so I can calmly say "yes"- He's nice like that.) So here I am, literally the new girl on the block, getting asked to take control of this flock that I don't know.

I don't even know where to start looking for girls to be a part of my presidency. Bishop suggested a few names, but it's up to me to figure out if they'll work or if I need to look elsewhere....

I've spent some time pondering on names and I think I've figured out my presidency. I still want to wait a little longer - hopefully find time to go to the temple - before submitting them to Bishop. But I'm feeling good about them, I can even remember who I've chosen! (Last time I was RS President I had to find a new secretary and several times I chose a name, and several times I could not remember who it was hours later. Finally I asked if I could chose anyone, even if they had a calling. Once I got permission, one girl's name came to me, and never left. That's when I knew I had found my secretary. I'm relying on that experience to guide me in this new one, especially since I have no idea who any of these girls are..)


Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Today I went to the temple. As I was driving to American Fork (the Provo Temple is closed for the next few weeks), I kept thinking that I didn't really need to go because I was certain the names I had chosen were the right ones. But I went anyways - I figured, why turn down the blessings?

The session was so full that a row and a half of women had to sit in the back of the men's section of the room. Despite being on the wrong side, it was a good session. I felt at peace and really happy throughout it. While sitting in the Celestial room afterwards, it was confirmed to me again that the girls I had chosen to be in my presidency were right and that I needed to call Bishop as soon as possible.

I'm starting to get really excited about this next adventure. I'm ready to tackle it and see what comes of all this craziness.


Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's official, I'm SPKAG again (Sister President Katie Ann Gardner, it's what a few close friends of mine called me last time I was RS President). It was a surreal experience. During the opening hymn, I was freaking out a little bit. Then when Bishop stood up to release the old president and sustain me, I was suddenly calm and happy. (Funny side note, someone next to me gasped when they called me as president. I was sitting next to a friend and the president I replaced, I don't know which one gasped, but one of them did. It made me smile) The old president, my co-president (we have 2 RS presidencies in the ward) and I had a quick meeting after Sacrament to transfer the binder over to me and catch me up on a few things - I got to conduct RS today, so I needed some info. RS went well, I was my usual crazy self and had fun.

I think that I'll enjoy this calling and this ward. It was surprising to me how many people came up to me and expressed their congratulations. People I had never even seen before came over to me to introduce themselves and chat over my calling. I think what surprised me the most was how many men knew who I was today, at least 4 specifically congratulated me and told me they were excited for me. I don't remember very many people in Cedar commenting on me being RS president last time.

To top an exciting day off, the bishop wants my presidency to speak next Sunday. So in addition to everything else that I need to do to get organized, I now have to write a talk on pioneers. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Katie,

You will do an awesome job!!! Thanks for sharing your week and what you did and what was going on in your head during it. Sounds like you are in a great ward, with all the people coming up to talk to you. Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Becca said...

Add me to the list of congraulators. You will do a great job and it will be a fantastic way to get to know a lot of people!