Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The kid-lets come to visit!

With Rachel being 9 months pregnant, Cindy and I thought it would be nice of us to take Shelly, Jason, and Emily for the next 2 weeks. Mark and his mom drove the kids down here last night and left a little after 10 this morning. The kids seemed to not really realize that they're stuck here with us...hopefully, they'll be happy when reality sets in :)

The kids wanted snacks, but Cindy only had banana bread. Luckily I had stocked up on gold fish, pretzels, and fruit snacks. Once the kids knew that all that good stuff was at my house, they weren't satisfied until they had some in their stomachs. So I loaded up the kids in my car and headed to my house. I got them all snack bags and tossed in a movie to entertain them while I talked to my roommates. Kami and Nilla were home and way excited to meet the kids. Emily was a little shy of them at first, but warmed up to them before I took her back to Cindy's for her nap.

Shelly and Jason weren't nervous after I said that Kami and Nilla were friends. Jason especially liked it when Kami pulled out the Wii and let him play some Mario Kart. Shelly had lots of fun throwing pillows and squishy balls down the stairs with Nilla - I should say "at" Nilla actually. The kids did a great job of listening to me and playing nicely with the roommates (Jason kept referring to them as teammates instead of roommates. I'm not sure where that came from, but it works..). Amy came home for lunch and was amazed at how well they listened to me when I asked them to do something.

After a little bit the kids wanted to go on a walk. I took them over to campus to run around on the grass field near my house. It started to rain so we went inside the Sharwan Smith Center to escape the rain (Back story - the SSC is named after a past student of SUU and there's a statue of her in there). This is the conversation we had as we were walking through the SSC:

Jason (pointing to the statue of Sharwan Smith): "Is that Satan?"
Me: "What?!?"
Jason and Shelly (in rather loud voices): "Is that Satan?"
Me (completely caught off guard and hoping no one is listening to this...): "No..that's a statue of a nice lady that went to school here."
Jason: "Ok.." (still staring at the statue as we walked away - quickly)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This is still my favorite story! I'd love to see a picture of the 'Satan Statue'... :)